The North American Montessori Teachers’ Association has been in existence for 40 years providing teachers, parents, and schools with vital services needed to keep people informed about the Montessori method. They have many resources available to parents that want to educate themselves further in all things Montessori. Below is a list of books they recommend for parents who want to get a deeper understanding of this education style.
- Montessori Today by Paula P. Lillard
Describes Montessori theory and contemporary American Montessori schools serving ages ranging from birth to adulthood.
- Montessori from the Start by Paula P. Lillard
What parents can do to help their youngest children in the process of self-formation.
- To Educate the Human Potential by Dr. Maria Montessori
Describes the needs of the elementary-aged child in the process of acquiring culture.
- The Absorbent Mind by Dr. Maria Montessori
Discusses the development of infants and young children from birth to three years. Gives a clear explanation of the basis of Montessori theory and method.
- The Child in the Family by Dr. Maria Montessori
A series of short essays about the child, the family, and the school, with a philosophical emphasis.
- From Childhood to Adolescence by Dr. Maria Montessori
Discusses the development and education of the child from age seven through adolescence. Includes Dr. Montessori’s thoughts on university education.
- Maria Montessori: Her Life and Work by E.M. Standing
Covers Maria Montessori’s life, how she developed Montessori education, its theoretical basis, and the worldwide growth of the Montessori movement.
- Maria Montessori: A Biography by Rita Kramer
- The Advanced Montessori Method by Dr. Maria Montessori
A collection of essays including both theory and practice at the elementary level.
- The Secret of Childhood by Dr. Maria Montessori
An introduction, both practical and theoretical, including observations and insights into the nature of young children.
- Education and Peace by Dr. Maria Montessori
Essays including lectures from the 6th International Montessori Congress in Copenhagen in 1937.
- Education for a New World by Dr. Maria Montessori
A discussion of the role of education in a changing world.
- The Discovery of the Child by Dr. Maria Montessori
Early writings of Dr. Montessori highlighting the materials and the work of the child in the primary class (ages 3-6).
- The Formation of Man by Dr. Maria Montessori
Dr. Montessori’s approach to world literacy.
- The Human Tendencies and Montessori Education by Mario Montessori
A classic essay on the imagination, the natural characteristics of the child, and the integration of human development and history.
- Education for Human Development: Understanding Montessori by Mario Montessori Jr. The ideas of Montessori from a philosophical, psychological, and educational point of view.
For more information from NAMTA, click here.