You might have shown up to school today and noticed a new installment on our playground. Over the weekend our former student, Dylan Sweet, and his troop were busy at work building Creative Montessori Academy our very own Gaga Ball pit! Sweet’s Eagle Scout project is sure to be a hit with our students. The pit looks amazing, and it’s always wonderful to see former students giving back to our community. This is something the whole school will be able to use.
Never heard of Gaga Ball? The game is pretty simple.
The official game rules of The Gaga Center:
- All players start with one hand touching a wall of the pit.
- The game begins with a referee throwing the ball into the center of the pit.
- When the ball enters the pit, the players scream ‘GA’ for the first two bounces, and ‘GO’ on the third bounce, after which the ball is in action.
- Once the ball is in play, any player can hit the ball with an open or closed hand.
- If a ball touches a player below the knee (even if the player hits himself or herself) he or she is out and leaves the pit. If a player is hit above the knees, the play continues.
- If a ball is caught on a fly, the player who hit the ball is out.
- Using the walls of the octagon to aid in jumping is legal as long as the player does not permanently sit on the ledge of the octagon.
- Players cannot hold the ball.
- If needed, a second ball can be thrown in the pit to expedite the end of the game. The last player standing is the winner of that round.